- Diagram of a single photon LED
We are using advanced growth and fabrication technologies to demonstrate single-photon sources, entangled-photon sources and detectors for use in quantum information applications. This work is based on the use of self-assembled InAs quantum dots embedded in GaAs-AlGaAs structures. Our achievements include:
- The first electrically driven single-photon source.
- Single- and multi-photon detectors based on field effect transistor and resonant tunnelling diode structures.
- Optically and electrically driven single-photon sources operating at 1300nm for optical fibre applications.
- The first triggered source of entangled-photon pairs based on a biexciton/exciton cascade.
- Developing growth techniques to place InAs quantum dots laterally within a device structure.
- An array of placed InAs quantum dots
This project involves a close collaboration with the Quantum information group of Toshiba Research Europe Ltd.