Professor of Semiconductor Physics
Professorial Fellow of Clare Hall
JJ Thomson Avenue
Cambridge CB3 0HE
Charles G. Smith has worked on nano-electrical and nano-mechanical devices since 1985 . He pioneered electrical transport work on GaAs quantum dots  and techniques for measuring single electron charge movement in those dots, initially at low frequencies  and more recently high frequencies for quantum computing applications [4, 5]. He has developed a number of low temperature scanning probe techniques for measuring nano-devices [6, 7]. Recently he has been working on carbon based devices . He is also the founder of two spin out companies Cavendish-Kinetics Ltd and Cambridge Lab on Chip Ltd, and he has helped raise over $20 million in venture capital to develop new technologies.
Quantum computation in semiconductor devices; Imaging and probing quantum phenomena using novel low temperature probes; Investigating the physics of nano-MEMS devices; Spin injection in semiconductors; Carbon nanotubes and graphene; Laboratory on a chip micro-fluidic pumping; Self assembly.
1. "The Physics and Fabrication of Ultra-Thin Free-Standing Wires". C. G. Smith, H. Ahmed, M. J. Kelly, and M. N. Wybourne, Supperlattices and Microstructures, 1, 153, (1985).
2. "Quantum Ballistic Transport Through a Zero-Dimensional Structure". C. G. Smith, M. Pepper, H. Ahmed J. E. Frost, D. G. Hasko, D. C. Peacock, D. A. Ritchie, G. A. C. Jones, Supperlattices and Microstructures, 5, 599, (1989).
3. "Measurement of Coulomb Blockade with a Non-Invasive Voltage Probe". M. Field, C. G. Smith, M. Pepper, D. A. Ritchie, J. E. F. Frost, G. A. C. Jones, D. G. Hasko. Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 1311, (1993).
4. "Demonstration of a quantum cellular automata cell in a GaAs/AlGaAs heterostructure". F. Perez-Martinez, I. Farrer, D. Anderson, G> A. C. Jones, D. A. Ritchie, S. J. Chorley, and C. G. Smith, Appl. Phys. Lett 91, 032102 (2007)
5. "Single shot charge detection using a radio-frequency quantum point contact". Cassidy M. C., Dzurak A. S., Clark R. G., Petersson K. D., Farrer I., Ritchie D. A. and Smith C. G., 2007, Appl. Phys. Lett., 91, 222104.
6. "Erasable electrostatic lithography for quantum components". R. Crook, A. C. Graham, C. G. Smith, I. Farrer, H. E. Beere, D. A. Ritchie. NATURE424 (6950): 751-754 (AUG 14 2003).
7. "Conductance quantization at a half-integer plateau in a symmetric GaAs quantum wire". Crook R., Prance J., Thomas K. J., Chorley S. J., Farrer I., Ritchie D. A., Pepper M. and Smith C. G., Science, 312, 1359-1362, (2006).
8. "Charge pumping in carbon nanotubes". Leek P., Buitelaar M., Talyanskii V., Smith C. G., Anderson D. A., Jones G. A. C., Wei J. and Cobden D., 2005, Phys. Rev. Lett., 95, 256802-1-4
Please visit my publications page for a more comprehensive list.