Everyone who works out-of-hours MUST use the signing in system. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of access privileges.
The online signing-in system is at http://lw1.cta.phy.private.cam.ac.uk/ooh/
Normal working hours are from 0800 to 1800, Monday to Friday. Until 1700 each day, there is someone on duty at Reception and there are first aiders on the premises. This enables a rapid response in the event that something goes wrong.
Out of Hours
For people wishing to work outside normal working hours, the following are requirements:
- All those working out of hours are expected to have a good working knowledge of the Emergency Procedures, since they may be the first to discover something that requires action.
- A person may work alone in an office, on paperwork, without special permission of any kind.
- The risk assessment for any work other than office work must have taken acount of the increased risk of working out of hours. ONLY those with the requisite skills may work out-of-hours. ONLY those who have secured the agreement of their Research Group may work out of hours.
- No-one may work alone in a laboratory area - there must always be someone within calling distance who would know what to do in the event of an emergency.
- Work on high risk experiments, such as work with hydrofluoric acid (HF) is FORBIDDEN
People intending to work out of hours should be aware that the heating systems are switched off outside working hours. Requests for supplementary heating must be lodged with the Laboratory Superintendent who will authorise the limited use of space heaters where justified. Under no circumstances may privately owned heaters be used. Their use could seriously jeopardise the University's Insurance position. (See the Treasurer's letter 20112/82)
Also please note that rescue from lifts (elevators) may take several hours out of the normal working day, so please avoid using lifts.
This page was last updated on 12 November 2015