Centrally Provided Computing
Computing for the Department of Physics is separated into isolated networks, partly based on related research groups. The Central Services IT group ceased to exist as a unit in 2009. Each "network" is entirely resposible for the services it provides it users.
The remaining departmental services are maintained by the CTA group
Obtaining Help and Support
If you require computing support of any sort, please contact your local Computer Officer(s). Your Group Adminstrator should be able to provide you their details. If this is not possible, please contact the main Cavendish Reception for assistance.
To identify who you should contact, please visit the websites listed below.
Computing in Research Groups
Some research groups have their own computing pages:
- Astrophysics (AP)
- Biological and Soft Systems (BSS)
- High Energy Physics (HEP)
- Theory of Condensed Matter (TCM)
Other groups share the resources of the Computing Pool.
Computing for Teaching and Administration
Non-Cavendish Computing Services
- The University Computing Service (UCS)
- The UCS Helpdesk
- UCS Courses - free for staff and students
- UCS Software Sales
- MCS (PWF)- the Public Workstation Facility, collections of PCs and Macs run by the UCS.
- Hermes - the University's central mail server, which offers WWW access, encrypted access, email list management, and much else.
- UL - the University Library, complete with on-line catalogue for books and periodicals.
- BIDS - the national citation index. Needs a password, and might not be available to some classes of visitor - see the Cavendish librarian for more details.
- UCS VPDN Service