The Physics website is maintained in house by the Department's Computer Officers. Any content beyond the central Physics web pages is maintained by the relevant local staff e.g. Group Websites, and central University pages.
To contact us for any matters associated with the Website Email: Webmaster@phy. (Appending cam.ac.uk)
Updating of the Physics Website
With the adoption of the University's new design and web style, the Physics website has more tightly organised control of the look and content of its pages. However, you may need updates or new pages to be added.
It is possible you can update the pages you are responsible for through the Falcon Content Management System (CMS) on which the website is hosted. If you feel that you would like to take this path, then we can assist you with some basic guidance and help with getting started. The UIS also run some free Falcon courses that are recommended to all users wishing to look into updating there own areas, although this is not essential for most of the basic tasks.
You can also request additions or updates be made to the website simply by emailing the responsible group and the Webmaster. We can then liaise with you and/or the page owners make the necessary changes.
The processes below describe the steps you should take to make changes to the Physics website.
Updates to existing pages.
- Identify the group responsible for pages (see table below).
- Agree changes with group.
- Notify Webmaster of changes required, with simple details or which sections or pages you wish to change and provide new material
- Text updates are best in as simple a format as possible. I.e. Notepad, text pad or maybe word. You do not need to save as HTML or any other web standard as this will make the job more complicated.
- Images can be supplied in any format.
New additions to existing page areas.
- Identify the responsible group, contact them and agree changes.
- Notify webmaster@phy that new pages are required and provide a basic outline of the changes.
- For complex additions organise a meeting for group involved (and Webmaster) and discuss face-to-face to establish design.
- For simple additions, please supply title/words/images and link locations.
Entire New Sections or Areas
- Document and contact us with your concept (webmaster@phy). We will advise on possible options and discuss with plans with the Development Office team.
- The process will largely depend of complexity of job and who will be repsonsible for its content.
Index of Responsible Group/Individuals
Use the table below to identify the group that is responsible for the content (if not the physical update) of the area of interest.
Please be aware that webmaster also has responsibilty for all areas.
|Website Area||Responsible Staff or Group|
|Current Undergraduate Students||Teaching Office|
|History||Development Office/Outreach Officer|
|News||Head of Department's Office|
|Prospective Students||Graduate Admissions / Teaching Office|
|Schools & Teachers||Outreach Officer|
|Study Opportunities||Graduate Admissions / Teaching Office|
|Staff & Students||Webmaster|
|Undergraduate Courses||Teaching Office|
|Vacancies||Head of Department Office|
Contact list for Group/Individuals
|Responsible Staff or Group||Contact Details (Append cam.ac.uk)|
|CTA Computing Office||Email: email@example.com.|
|Development Office||Email: development@phy.|
|Graduate Admissions||Email: admissions@phy.|
|Health & Safety Office||Email: has@phy.|
|Head of Department's Office||Email: hod@phy.|
|Head Chef||Email: catering@phy.|
|Library Reception||Email: librarian@phy.|
|Liquid Gasses||Email: liquid.gases@phy.|
|Outreach Officer||Email: outreach@phy.|
|MCS Admin||Email: pwf-admin@phy.|
|Teaching Office||Email: teaching-office@phy.|
|Workshop Manager||Email: workshop-manager@phy.